|Again, we are helping people who are falling through the cracks with government and tribal assistance.
Everyone here has consented to having their photo taken with the caption THANK YOU DAILY KOS !
Note make shift cardboard skirting around trailer.
Fire truck dealing with a furnace fire
And here's our intrepid Sherry Cornelius from St. Francis Energy aka lpggirl delivering propane in sub-freezing temperatures.
She knows who needs help.
(Um... no gloves??? I'm such a wimp.)
PLEASE Share with family and friends and ask them to share.
My earlier diaries explain in more detail why and how we are helping:
Here we go again: Blizzard hits Dakotas
Band-Aid for the Lakotas
Pine Ridge: American Prisoner of War Camp #334
Revealing Pine Ridge Rez Demographic Information
- Recent reports vary but many point out that the median income on the Pine Ridge Reservation is approximately $2,600 to $3,500 per year.
- The unemployment rate on Pine Ridge is said to be approximately 83-85% and can be higher during the winter months when travel is difficult or often impossible.
Note that South Dakota boasts of a 4.5% unemployment rate and ranks #2 in the Nation.
- According to 2006 resources, about 97% of the population lives below Federal poverty levels.
- There is little industry, technology, or commercial infrastructure on the Reservation to provide employment.
- Rapid City, South Dakota is the nearest town of size (population approximately 57,700) for those who can travel to find work. It is located 120 miles from the Reservation. The nearest large city to Pine Ridge is Denver, Colorado located some 350 miles away.
We have bypassed the middlemen; the 501c3s, the red-taped strangled Tribal Councils and the pathetic Federal LIHEAP program which runs out three weeks into winter.
We've set up relationships with the propane companies that service Rosebud and Pine Ridge reservation. The kind operators/owners know who needs help and can't get it from their Tribal, State or Federal government.
If you live out of the country please use our PayPal link at Native American Netroots, the donate button is in the upper right of the page.
Help buy propane for Lakota families in South Dakota:
Sherry Cornelius of St. Francis Energy Co.
at 6 0 5 - 7 4 7 - 2 5 4 2
11 AM - 6 PM MST
Ask for Sherry or her mom Patsy. Normally a minimum order is $150, but they have an account to accumulate small donations to a minimum order. Credit Cards welcome and they are the only Native owned fuel company on Rosebud. Rosebud is next to Pine Ridge Reservation and in the same economically depressed condition.
If you'd like to mail a check:
Attn: Sherry Cornelius
St. Francis Energy Co. / Valandra's II
P.O. Box 140
St. Francis, South Dakota 57572
[make check payable to: St. Francis Energy Co.]
NOT tax deductible
You can also call Sherry's cell phone: 605.208.8888
The Lakota Plains Propane Company
at 6 0 5 - 8 6 7 - 5 1 9 9
Monday- Friday 8-5pm MST
Ask for Crystal to contribute to someone from Autumn's list. $120 minimum delivery. This company serves Pine Ridge Reservation.
NOT tax deductible